This dish was just something I put together with what was available in the fridge, isn’t that how all the best dishes start? When I posted a photo on my instagram and facebook it went down really well and I’ve had many requests to write up the recipe. Its low carb, full of goodness and above all super SUPER tasty!
So here we are…feast your eyes below….
Fajita Spiced Chicken
Prep time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
Serves – 2 (generously)
2 chicken breasts
1 cup of quinoa
2 cups of water
1 onion – sliced
3 peppers – sliced
1tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp fajita seasoning
2tsp coconut oil
salt & pepper
– Add the quinoa, two cups of water and cumin into a pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15mins. The quinoa will soak up the cumin flavoured water. Take off the heat and pop aside.
-Mash the avocado with a little salt, pepper and lime juice. Pop aside.
– Coat the chicken breasts in the fajita spice.
– Melt the coconut oil in a large flat frying pan and lay in the chicken breasts. Listen to the sizzle!. Let the chicken cook over a medium heat for 6 mins one side and then turn over for another 6 mins on the other side.
Once cooked through take them out the pan and pop aside on a wooden board to rest. (test the chicken by probing with a fork or skewer, if juices run clear, you are ready to rock ‘n’ roll. If not pop back in the pan for another few minutes)
– In the same pan you cooked the chicken in, add the onion and peppers. Do NOT clean the pan before adding them because you want the onions to soak up all that super tasty flavourness ( from the pan. Once they are softened squeeze the juice of half a lime in and stirr in the quinoa. Mexican quinoa….done!
– To serve, spoon the mexican quinoa mix on a plate, top with the spicy chicken and then top that baby with the mashed avocado with a wedge of lime on the side.
Optional extras you could add are sour cream, salsa, cheese or why not all of them *wink
I chose to add a little slice of Mexicana Cheese which is my ultimate indulgence at the minute.
and last but not least…EAT! feast and enjoy with your family or friends!